This protocol is intended to be a general outline only. The physician reserves the right to either advance or delay this protocol as deemed necessary. If so, this should be done by direct communication with the therapist, or in writing on the therapy referral form given to the patient on the day of surgery.
0-5 Weeks Post-Op: General Guidelines. Patient seen 2-3x / week
Precautions: Protection of joint replacement. No shoulder extension beyond neutral. Avoid combination of adduction and IR for the first 3 months. In supine – support shoulder with pillow behind elbow. Use of Ultrasling with abduction wedge for 6-8 weeks.
Goals: Progressive range of motion. Independent ADL’s. Minimize shoulder pain, decrease inflammation, protect repair.
- Ice for several times / day for pain and inflammation control
- Day 1 Post-Op: AAROM Elbow curls without weight, and AROM grip strengthening. These should be performed supine with gravity eliminated and shoulder in neutral position.
- Day 1 Post-Op: Begin supine PROM with cane. Flexion/Elevation to 90 degrees, ER 20-30 degrees. No IR.
- At 1 week: Patient may begin light aerobic exercise (bike, walk) while wearing Ultrsling for cardiovascular fitness
- At 2 weeks – begin submaximal (25-50%) deltoid isometrics and pariscapular. Avoid shoulder extension on posterior deltoid activation.
- At 2 Weeks: Begin pulley exercises for additional PROM in planes of flexion to tolerance and scapti